Home-Buyer’s Surveys & Valuations in the West
Robert White Associates specialises in carrying out pre-purchase surveys of residential and commercial property and is the trading name of Robert White MRICS, a Chartered Building Surveyor.
Whilst Robert White Associates has been trading since 1991, Robert has 30 years personal experience in carrying out pre-purchase surveys.
We aim to provide a swift, personal service, to inspect a property within 3 days of being instructed and submit reports written in plain English within a week.
Why choose us for your survey?
We can carry out Home-Buyer’s Surveys & Valuations on most properties, more detailed Building Surveys on properties that are old or have been altered, or Limited Inspections to discuss specific defects. Please refer to the attached web-pages for details of the type of surveys available and how to select the appropriate type for your proposed purchase.
How do we charge?
Fees are by prior agreement, based upon the size, age and location of the property.
Fees quoted are fixed, include vat and are not subject to the addition of extras. We will make the inspection as soon as possible and your report will be released on receipt of your payment.
We work in the following areas:
- South Glamorgan
- Mid Glamorgan
Call Robert White Associates in your area on:
Bristol: 0117 930 4678
Newbury: 01635 813 425
Cardiff: 029 2050 1557
Cheltenham: 01242 649 557
Chipping Sodbury: 01454 311 426
Gloucester: 01452 899 442
Swindon: 01793 469 442
Why have a survey
Your mortgage lender will commission a valuation, a copy of which is likely to be made available to you, but it is only a valuation to ensure that the loan is adequately secured upon the house, it is not a condition survey.
Sadly, many people take more care buying a used car than buying a house. They will check the log book and the service history, take it for a test drive, most likely be covered by a 12 month warranty and take out a finance agreement for a year or three. By comparison, most mortgages are for terms of up to 25 years, a house will not be covered by a warranty, it will require regular maintenance to keep it in good condition and many houses will require initial expenditure soon after purchase to put right existing defects. There is no recourse to the purchaser is defects come to light and in some cases the property will be uninhabitable while repairs & improvements are undertaken.
Consider the following:
- Are the cracks in the front wall normal thermal cracking that can be ignored, or do they indicate structural movement?
- The trees look great, but are they likely to affect the foundations? Will you be liable if they damage the neighbour’s house?
- Is the damp stain on the dining room wall rising damp, dry rot, or only a tea-stain?
- So the house has white plastic lights and sockets, but is the cabling potentially dangerous two-core, or has it been botched in the loft?
- Does the boiler work, are the radiators large enough, are they falling off the walls, is there a suitable expansion cistern?
- The wood windows look good, but has the vendor filled the rot and painted it over?
- Many old houses have been re-roofed, but have the new (heavier) concrete tiles over-loaded the old roof structure, causing it to become unsound?
- Do the drains work, or are they blocked?
- The old ceilings are cracked, but do they need replacing?
- Can you afford to take the risk?
- Can you afford NOT to have a survey?
Call us now on your local number or send an e-mail with your requirements. We are available from 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am to 6.pm weekends.